Friday 5 May 2006

Transition/Transmission

Last night's thunderstorm must have been cathartic, either that or I went to college because The Padre was off work today, thus being unable to stay at home. Yes, venturing out to an education establishment I haven't been near since April 18th; and before that March 30th - not that I actually went to a class, I just read the papers and did a pit of personal research on World War II.

In fact, my light and (by my standards) happy mood - I'd fatally overdose on happiness if I had a girlfriend, though that would probably ruin this blog - could very well be attributed to the clear and unheavy skies today. I might actually be in the mood to write about humans in a positive fashion - just don't expect that series of posts anytime soon.

Actually, really thinking about it - it might have been watching Donnie Darko for the first time in almost 3 years that brought me back to the... I'm going to fucking cut-up that crowd of kids outside if they don't fucking shutup and stop screaming. As I was saying, I'm well adjusted now.

Screenshot from The Shining, 1980
If CyberNations goes offline for much longer, I might have to go out and get a girlfriend - Yes, I can see it now: I'm the weird guy having a psychotic episode, who talks to a guy in a bunny suit, and likes grinning in poorly lit areas; she's on a witness protection scheme and has an estranged mentally unstable father, and we both listen to Joy Division at parties.

The ending of DD, where Gretchen says she never met Donnie, really gets me. Not in the overwhelming Saving Private Ryan opening/closing scenes, but in an adolescent love tragedy way, vaguely reminiscent of the final scene in The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet... Donnie loves Gretchen and sacrifices himself and his 28 days with her, so that she can live again (the universe will also be destroyed if Donnie doesn't close the paradox, but the world deserves it). If I wasn't already coming out of another depression, I'd be sliding into one by watching DD. Maybe that's how I managed to watch it 3 nights in a row three years ago. By the way, that's Frank's car driving past in the opening scene.

I can't stress enough how far ahead (8 months) of pop culture I was in both the DD popularity explosion, and the brief Tears for Fears comeback. Plus, I already knew who Joy Division were, you fucking trendies. In Vietnam, I was 19.

[448]

No comments: