Friday 12 May 2006

I Am Stronger Than Mensa

I don't think there's ever been a greater contrast in the music I've listened to: Faster, Manic Street Preachers, The Holy Bible, 1994 followed by Wichita Lineman, Glenn Campbell, Wichita Lineman, 1967 (lovely drumming at the end). I hold that up as a sign of my musical diversity, and I'd put on some late-50s doo-wop if I was in the mood.

Since the world continues to try and crush me into submission, I look to the Manics before they became middle-aged stadium rockers - ie, The Holy Bible era.
[On Top of the Pops] lead singer/guitarist James Dean Bradfield [wore] an IRA-style balaclava as part of the band's new military image [...] The band have said since that the reason for this was because they [...] believed that having a unified, militant image would bring them together again. (Wiki)
Draw strength. You'd think I'd get depressed listening to THB, but it's oddly the other way around. That also applies to The Smiths - contrary to people's conception that The Smiths are inherently depressing, Morissey made some very clever and funny songs. It's probably not the music that's depressing, it's the context.

[204]

No comments: