Wednesday 7 September 2005

Mute

If you happen to be unfortunately watching commercial television channels, mute the TV when the adverts come on. I've been doing this for some months now.

In my first year of secondary school, many years ago now, our Music teacher demonstrated the importance of sound - or more precisely, music. He showed us a typical Tom & Jerry cartoon except he turned the TV around so there was no picture, then vice-versa. This showed that not everything can be conveyed by image alone, some information, perhaps critical, is thus conveyed in audio.

By not listening to adverts, I don't have to hear about the shite they're trying to sell me. Again, this is why I advocate Media Studies. Don't listen, but watch what you pick up without the distracting branded sentences (where every second word is trademarked, see anything written by Micro$oft®).

[146]

No comments: