Thursday 5 January 2006

Remember the dead; don't forget the living?

Will this become this in another few decades?

I've already written about the total irrelevance of WWI in terms of sheer time and relevance to modern warfare. By the 2020s, all WWI veterans will be dead and very few (more likely none) of their children will be alive - so with all direct links to that war decayed (and those of WWII fraying), will Remembrance Day change?

For the 18-30s, war is nowhere near as close to home as it was during WWII (in terms of actual bombardment), so you can't possibly expect us to have the same understanding of what it means to be killed in war. For those old enough, the Falkland War was the last remote war, and the Gulf War passed me by (I've only ever see it on UK History). I've only ever been consciously aware of the Iraq War, and that hasn't killed anyone I know or meant I had to ration food.

Within 50 years, Remembrance Day will resemble Trafalgar 250 as time physically removes us from the past - teaching History cannot stop that. It won't be personal after 150 years... If only Red team hadn't invaded Blue team.

[203]

No comments: