Tuesday 31 January 2006

Landrover Destroyer 3: Meltdown

My word of the week is 'vomitous' (an Adjective which I appear to have made-up).

No advert that I have seen in the past week is more vomitous than that depicting a LandRover Discovery 3 driving across the plains of the Arctic, smugly showing the simple natives how to cross the ice in comfort (see here for examples). Now, I have not yet found emissions statistics for the Disco 3, but I'll gladly bet it's output is more environmentally damaging than a dog-sled (especially with the heating on). The most offensive aspect of the advert is its purported location - the very place that's going to disappear thanks to such "Sports Utility Vehicles".

The fact that Landrover is owned by Ford Motor Company, good friends of Hitler, is unsurprising. I want to know when the Green Parties of the world are going to see you can't change things through government when the multinationals are funding the major parties everywhere. Apparently it's too fucking late anyway. Be it on the head of every corporate exec, every American driver, every parent driving their children to school in a supertanker.

[193]