Monday 30 June 2008

Ectal 5: Sowing The Seeds of Love

At the start of second year (1999) a new guy, Lee, joined the class from down the coast. The clamour to impress him was embarrassing. I had a good time in 2nd year French with him, but if you want a story that shows how rabid it all was, here's one from Home Ec[onomics].

Lord knows how much I hated Home Ec - especially sowing, but especially cookery. Lee, myself, and Paul-2 (whose surname I forget, hence the distinguishing '2') had to share a sowing machine - Paul and I were watching whilst Lee finished off whatever it was we were attempting to make. He and Paul were talking, Lee continually turning round to talk while the machine was still running. I told him to watch his hands at least twice before, until he ran the needle straight into his right index finger. He was increadibly calm for someone with a needle embedded in bone.

He joined the queue to talk to the teacher, who was reviewing our finished work. Now at the head of the queue after several minutes, the teacher promptly responded to the sight as if she had a needle in her hand. He was taken to the hospital whilst I explained his absence to friends on the way to geography. The news quickly spread/distorted, and when Paul-2 was last into the class, some actually booed him - so beloved was Lee to them.

[239]

No comments: