Monday 5 February 2007

Take Five

Abstract Composition, Edward Wadsworth, 1915
I've taken some time out from writing. I have the time and the material, but have been unable to write. The same trouble I had at the start of November. There are 20 or so posts stretching from last week to August which lie incomplete. I've put aside B-17: The Mighty 8th, and made a concentrated effort to write. So far, I've only rewrote the sentences above this.

Three things have occupied my time through January: the £100 worth of DVDs I bought on Amazon, visiting the job centre every second Tuesday, and going to job interviews.

I had two interviews on the 12th, the first for 'Becogent' - probably a pretentious synergy of 'be' and Latin 'cogito'. Since it was up the motorway in Erskine, I was already uninterested, but one has to placate the job centre. The building itself was one of those awful 60s concrete blocks. By the time they took myself and the other two applicants to a little group interview I was already sick of the place. Then the woman started talking about how the company recognises that everyone has their own dream, and brought up a little diagram with 'kaizen' in the middle. That's when I reverted to cynical mode. Only manners prevented me from vomiting. My visible contempt made sure I didn't get the vacancy - I cried all night.

I did have a good interview at the Royal Mail building last Friday. None of the pretentious crap. The guy interviewing me seemed familiar, and his haircut was strangely reminiscent of Joe Strummer. When his phone went off to the tune of 'White Riot', I already had him down as a Clash fan. He had as much contempt for corporate logorrhoea as I do.

[296]

No comments: