Tuesday 31 August 2010

Introductory Nomenclature

Today is World Blog Day. Unbelievably it's been four years since I last did this. Since I realised I no longer read any of the blogs I cited four years ago, and also Para deleted her blog a while back, I decided to link to the ones I read regularly.

My East-coast, similarly aged, fellow Scottish blogger but with readers. Coincidentally, we've both been writing online since December 2002. I probably came across Doctorvee during Lewis Hamilton fever - I had long since stopped watching F1 and was looking for something to bring me up to speed for a possible return to viewing. Primarily current affairs, Holyrood and Westminster politics, and F1.

This is the odd one out - the mainstream media vlog. The country's outspoken be-quiffed flappy-handed film reviewer, the good doctor Mark Kermode. Videos twice weekly and weekly reviews from the Radio Five Live show, also available as Kermode and Mayo's Film Review podcast.

Came across this last year via Lenin's Tomb and passed the address around the office. Postman Roy Mayall's writing has been welcome in delivery offices and mail centres across the country since last October's strike. His mini book Dear Granny Smith is an excellent summary of working life at Royal Mail and a defence of the nationalised universal service. Frequently appears in the Guardian whenever talk of privatisation emerges from the government.

Astronomy, cosmology, space exploration, debunking and scepticism. And the occasional cat.

[unavailable]
Atomic Gadfly
Stumbled upon this in the aftermath of The Dark Knight when I followed some links on the IMDB forums. Largely focuses on films, comic books and tv series orientated towards geek audiences (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc). Much valued opinion but inexplicably inaccessible since mid-July. Try using Google's cache. Frequent contributor to Atomic Gadfly has own blog at The Movie Orphan.

No comments: