Tuesday 14 March 2006

It's Snow Joke for Newspaper Staff Killed by Angry Teen with Loaded Pun

The next newspaper that makes a pun on the word 'snow' to decscribe the weekend weather can expect a small non-ticking package from me (modern bombs don't tick, you see). Anyway, that isn't representative of my current mood...

Having meant to watch The Breakfast Club for around 3 years, I finally watched it on BBC1 at 2300 on Saturday with my brother. Saturday largely passed me by. I had no idea it was snowing, nor that it was snowing so heavily - not the usual thing at this time of year (more of an early February thing for the past decade). By the end of the film, the snow was piling up against the windows. Before retiring for the night, I built a crude snowman on the outside windowsill - no taller than a new pencil. Having enjoyed the film, I retired to my room to obsess over the film on IMDB for an hour or two.

I woke up on Sunday morning at 7AM (that is not a typo) to let the wailing kitten out the kitchen. I looked out the window, expecting the usual slush:

Hanging out of my bedroom window looking West7AM, March 12th 2006

I fell back asleep for 4 hours until I decided I didn't want to miss the snow to the forecast rain - it hasn't snowed like this in 11 years. I don't know why, but I decided to build a small snowhouse rather than a snowman. I finished the walls in 2 hours, and went back inside to warm up. Jurassic Park on ITV2 again? How many Sunday afternoons has the JP trilogy been on in the past year? It's about 3 times.

I watched Jurassic Park and then convinced my brother to come back outside to finish the snowhouse. I had to scale it down a bit, since the intention of fitting a single person inside it was becoming somewhat impossible from an architectural standpoint. With the interior space halved, it was easy to compress blocks of snow, meld them with the walls, and ice the lot together by tea time. Enough space inside for maybe a 4 year old child. I'll upload the video I took of the snowhouse and its interior if I can fit it on my webspace.

There's nothing like standing in the freezing weather, bent over a pile of snow for 5 hours to make you sleep so well. I woke up at 1230 on Monday and could barely move. An action man can move his arms and legs in more ways than I could. Bending over to pick something up required bracing - and even the recommended kneeling down was an effort. Even getting up from a chair requires throwing one's weight forward. I might have slept well, but I should have expected the hell that usually results from standing in such temperatures. I didn't attempt to walk down the street until today.

My backside may still be numbingly raw, but the awakening on my inner child on Sunday, made me readopt the outlook that got me through the latter part of secondary school - carefree optimism. My life in college may be an irretrievable wreck, but I'm sure everything will work out with absolutely no effort on my part. :)

Fuck Blogger for losing my original post. I had to spend another half an hour of my time trying to remember what I wrote the first fucking time.

[581]

No comments: