Thursday 16 October 2008

Thirty Frames A Second

JB Mason, Self Portrait, c1912
It's been a while since more than two posts were published in a single month, with the exception of the holidays. You may notice the preceding post has origins back in 22/06/05, before this blog actually started. I'm suddenly eager to clear out the drafts sitting in the management screen. The continuing problem being that I can't seem to eke out something publishable. The dullards on the street don't have to worry about editing their thought(s) and putting them onto paper, so to speak. In light of this, I've attached two abortive posts.

The two dreams which I've previously described - Astronomic and Old Bedroom - seem to have been phased out upon mention. Most recently I've repeatedly dreamt of losing a tooth, disturbing me to the point that I had trouble sleeping. A new adaptable classic, Tsunami, has filled some of the void. The cause is always different; but always leads to a scramble up the hill I live on through back gardens and over fences, well ahead of the water. Seems to have been ripped straight from the end of Deep Impact. In fact, I love that scene, and have it on DVD. Which probably proves something about the influence of cinema.

It occurred to me back in May, that it's been 10 years since adolescence kicked in. About two weeks after I was aware it was happening, all the boys in our class were ominously asked to report to the Nurse's office. We all made it into that tiny office and were shown a video about the changes. Snickering.

So here I am a decade later, and I'm wondering: is this supposed to be some sort of event that's commemorated - becoming an adult, at least physically? Ten years of 'adulthood' and you're, say, supposed to be a father, or on your way to becoming one? Seeing the seconds tick by on the clock drives me insane, and the more time that passes the more I become anxious I'm stuck.

[346]

No comments: